My Ex-Husband Dropped Our Kids From His Health Insurance

There is a lot of misinformation and uncertainty out there about health insurance. At Chastain Agency Inc., serving the greater Gainesville, GA area, we love to clear up these questions whenever we receive them. One of the questions we were recently asked was how a parent can get their children covered if the other parent drops them from their personal or work health insurance.

How do I get my children covered?

If children are dropped from a health insurance plan, the other parent can enroll them in either a private insurance plan or an insurance plan through the health marketplace. This is because this would be considered a life-changing event that allows you to enroll your children in the marketplace outside of the normal enrollment period. 

In order to enroll your children in either type of health insurance plan, you may need to bring in proof that they are no longer covered by your ex-spouses health insurance plan and the reasons why. You may also need to provide proof as to when they were dropped. In most cases, you only have 60 days to enroll them in a new plan within the health marketplace. If you wait longer than this, you may not be able to enroll them outside of the normal enrollment period. This timeline does not apply if you are looking to enroll them in a private insurance plan, as you can enroll in a private insurance plan at any point in time. 

If you are looking for health insurance for your children or for yourself in the greater Gainesville, GA area, let Chastain Agency Inc. assist you. Contact us today to get started.